2027: Melaye Accuses Tinubu, APC of ‘Jitters’ Over Campaign Council Structure

0
6

 

Senator Dino Melaye, a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) in Kogi State, has criticised President Bola Tinubu’s decision to serve as chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council for the 2027 election.

Melaye described the arrangement as unusual and “disgraceful,” arguing that it reflected a lack of confidence within the ruling party.

The former senator made the remarks in a video posted on his official X account on Sunday while reacting to the structure of Tinubu’s campaign council.

According to Melaye, it is unprecedented for a presidential candidate to also head the campaign council established to prosecute his own re-election bid.

“This is the first time in the history of the universe and the entire world that a presidential candidate of a political party will double as the chairman of the presidential campaign council for his own election,” he said.

Melaye alleged that the decision showed that members of the APC were “jittery” and afraid of the outcome of the 2027 presidential election.

He also criticised the size and composition of the campaign council, describing it as “very, very, very bogus” and alleging that some committees and positions had been duplicated.

The ADC chieftain further raised concerns over the reported appointment of Zacch Adedeji, chairman of the Nigerian Revenue Service (NRS), formerly known as the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), to a fundraising role in Tinubu’s campaign council.

Melaye questioned whether the alleged appointment could constitute a conflict of interest, given Adedeji’s position as a public official responsible for revenue collection.

“The chairman of FIRS is the deputy director in charge of fundraising of presidential campaign of Tinubu,” Melaye alleged.

He said he would seek legal clarification on the matter, arguing that public officials are expected to comply with the provisions of the Public Service Rules.

“As a lawyer, by the grace of God, on Monday I’m going to court. We have to test that,” he said.

Melaye vowed to continue campaigning against Tinubu’s re-election, insisting that the opposition to the president would not relent.

“The battle to stop Tinubu is a battle of no retreat, no surrender,” he declared.

He described the development as “a big shame” and “a disgrace” as political parties intensify preparations for the 2027 presidential election.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here