Davido-Okpebholo Feud Escalates as Governor’s Aide Declares Edo Off-Limits to Singer

0
11

 

The feud between Nigerian singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, and Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo has escalated, with the governor’s aide warning the singer against returning to the state to perform.

Apostle Kassy Chukwu, Senior Special Assistant to Governor Okpebholo on Digital Media, made the declaration on Thursday, August 20, 2026, in Benin City.

In a video published by Peniel TV International Benin City, Chukwu said Davido would not be welcome to perform in Edo State for the remainder of Okpebholo’s administration.

“You have been banned from coming to Edo State to perform. We don’t want to see you in Edo again,” the governor’s aide said.

Chukwu said the position followed Davido’s refusal to apologise over remarks and a social media post involving Okpebholo during the campaign for the August 15 Osun State governorship election.

The dispute started after Okpebholo travelled to Osun State to campaign and criticised Governor Ademola Adeleke, who is Davido’s uncle. The Edo governor also made comments about Adeleke’s dancing and conduct as governor.

Davido subsequently shared what appeared to be Okpebholo’s West African Senior School Certificate Examination result on his Instagram Story.

The singer later defended his action during an interview, saying he had no reason to apologise.

Davido also questioned Okpebholo’s decision to leave Edo State to campaign against his uncle in Osun, arguing that the governor should focus on the administration of his own state.

The disagreement has since continued to generate reactions, with both sides maintaining their positions.

Chukwu accused Davido of making disrespectful remarks about Okpebholo and his family. He also questioned the authenticity of the academic document shared by the singer, alleging that it had been manipulated.

The governor’s aide further claimed that some Edo youths were angry with Davido and warned that the singer could face an unfriendly reception if he returned to the state.

The development has attracted attention because Davido is one of Nigeria’s leading Afrobeats artistes and regularly performs at major concerts and entertainment events across the country.

However, the reported ban was announced by the governor’s aide, not directly by Governor Okpebholo. There is currently no indication in the available information that the governor personally issued a formal executive order preventing Davido from entering Edo State.

The controversy is also linked to Davido’s close relationship with the Adeleke family and his public support for his uncle during the Osun governorship election campaign.

With the dispute now spilling into Edo’s entertainment scene, the latest warning from Okpebholo’s aide has added a new dimension to the growing political and social media clash between the singer and the governor.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here